Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Indian Princesses


Mom and I took a little walk down memory lane yesterday. I had just finished reading a book about the artist Georgia O’Keefe. I didn’t realize that she lived in the same area that my mother had grown up in northern New Mexico. Reading the book, brought back many faint memories of names and places that we had visited in my childhood. It also raised many questions in my mind about my grandfather, who was a photographer and was taking the same pictures that Ms. O’Keefe was painting of Indian pueblos and pottery, mountains and mesas. I felt a connection across time and space with these western artists and my mother and grandparents. In the course of our conversation, mom shared a funny story.

Georgia O’Keefe lived on the edge of the Ghost Ranch, an early “dude” ranch that catered to the rich and famous Easterners, who would come to see her work and experience desert life in the wild west. My Mom told me that her first job was at a variety store in Espanola, the nearest town, where she cut fabric when she was fourteen. She said that the owners of the Ghost Ranch would come and buy huge amounts of fabric to make “squaw dresses” for the guests. My Mom would dream of the time that she could have the means to make and wear these dresses which she considered to be the pinnacle of high fashion—after all it is what the rich women in New York were wearing. We laughed as we discussed whether or not it was politically correct to call them “squaw dresses” or not. A little google search confirms that when they are sold as vintage dresses on E-bay they are still called “Squaw dresses.”

This brought back my own memories of my first favorite dress, my “Squaw Dress,” which of course, had to be worn with a silver concho belt and beaded Indian moccasins. I also remember mom’s genuine silver concho belt. (Hmmm, it must be worth a pretty penny now, I wonder where it is?) I have so many memories of growing up in the SouthWest and Indian PowWows, where Native Americans did hoop dances, drew intricate sand paintings, displayed their black pottery and weaved wool rugs. I don’t know if time or location has not allowed my own children these memories, but it was so fun to share with Mom on “memorial day.”

A classic "Squaw Dress"
"Marge" a google image displaying her fashionable dress!


Cathy, Cheryl and Colleen fashionably dressed--notice the purse; imagine the moccasins! (Sorry Cheryl, someone had to be Jessie)
Georgia O'Keefe's home against mountains

No post about Georgia O'Keefe would be complete without a little erotica!

7 comments:

jessica&john.com said...

Now I know why I was so enthralled with the Grand Canyon and native American culture when I visited last year...It is in my roots (and not my 1/16 or 1/30 or whatever it is Indian Down side)
I've always loved Georgia O'Keefe's flowers but never knew anything about her. Very fascinating.
I can relate to Grandma working with wealthy Easterners from working at the ski shop. I even told the owners when I was a poor college student that someday I will be rich and come back and buy a whole ski outfit and get my boots molded to my feet like they all do:)
I would so wear a squaw dress. So pretty...But maybe not with turquoise jewelry and moccasins...That might be carrying the theme a little far:)

Chelsea said...

I LOVE GEORGIA OKEFFE!!! I saw her work at the MOMA in San Francisco and have been in love ever since!!! Her partenr was also an amazing photographer and took some amazing pics of her.

Heather said...

Who is going to make us all matching squaw dresses for our girls' weekend?

It's always fun to learn a little more about our family, thanks for sharing.

ColleenDown said...

Squaw dresses out of my laundry room drapes perhaps? Heather seems to have the need for me to sew something for her!

Cathy G said...

And I thought the picture was from Halloween! Shows you that I am still out of tune with fashion! Thanks for a little more information about Mom!

Michelle Wilkes said...

Hmm... I had similar thoughts driving through New Mexico yesterday. When I was a little girl (not quite as long ago:)) I spent summers with my grandma and great grandma in Gallup. Everywhere we went we saw traditional Navajo clothing and the men wore their hair tied in a very specific way. There were also lots of artisans selling jewelry, clothing, ruts, pottery. I haven't seen the traditional tied hair in years, heard any Navajo spoken, and rarely see kachina dolls for sale. Maybe we have been lucky to see a disappearing culture.
I think I wouldn't look as good in a squaw dress as you Down girls, but I love me some turquiose jewelry!

BarbWitzke said...

Thanks for the memories!No, Heather,I am not making squaw dresses for our Girl's Weekend! Colleen--I know exactly where that squash blossom necklace is and about
2 dozen more turquoise pieces, also.
Sure enjoyed your other pictures on the blog i.e. Spring rains, the BD party, etc.