Friday, December 10, 2010

Gentle Reminders


I have some flowerpots of Christmas bulbs growing on my kitchen counter-paperwhites and amaryllis. They are a gentle reminder that even in the deadest looking seeds there lies a hope of spring.

I also have a painting of Charles Dicken’s Scrooge hanging in my entranceway. When Steve gave it to me, he pointed to the red and green lining of the jacket and said, “ Remember, even in the most hardened heart there is still a bit of Christmas.”


Hanging on my tree is my favorite ornament, I purchased it in high school. It has the words of “I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day” etched in the glass.” These are the words written in 1864 by Henry W. Longfellow, following the tragic death of his beloved wife in a fire and the recent return of his injured son from the battlefield at the darkest hour of the Civil War. In the moving last stanza is the reminder that even in our most desperate hours “God is not dead, nor doth he sleep.


I heard the bells on Christmas Day,

Their old, familiar carols play,

And wild and sweet, The words repeat,

Of peace on earth, good will to men!

And thought how, as the days had come,

The belfries of all Christendom,

Had rolled along, the unbroken song,

Of peace on earth, goodwill to men!

Till ringing, singing on its way,

The world revolved from might to day,

A voice, a chime, A chant sublime,

Of peace on earth, goodwill to men!

Then from each black, accursed mouth,

The cannon thundered in the South,

And with the sound, The carols drowned,

Of peace on earth, goodwill to men!

It was as if an earthquake rent,

The hearthstones of a continent,

And made forlorn, the households born,

Of peace on earth, goodwill to men!

And in despair I bowed my head:

“There is not peace on earth,” I said;

“For hate is strong and mocks the song,

Of peace on earth goodwill to men.”

Then pealed the bells more loud and deep,

“God is not dead, nor doth He sleep;

The wrong shall fail, The Right prevail,

With peace on earth, goodwill to men.”

All three are reminders of the first Christmas message, "Fear Not--- Peace on Earth, Good Will to Men."




5 comments:

Cheryl said...

We bought and hung up some paintings from A Christmas Carol this year. I like them a lot. And, I've always loved that line about "God is not dead." I am a firm believer that there is so much good to find in so many things/people/situations that surround us. The influences of God and of good are always there even if they are not the first things we see. I am not, however, a fan of paper whites. I can celebrate without them, but I hope you enjoy the joy of the flowers! Merry Christmas!!

Anonymous said...

A Holiday Thought...

Aren't humans amazing? They kill wildlife - birds, deer, all kinds of cats, coyotes, beavers, groundhogs, mice and foxes by the million in order to protect their domestic animals and their feed.

Then they kill domestic animals by the billion and eat them. This in turn kills people by the million, because eating all those animals leads to degenerative - and fatal - health conditions like heart disease, stroke, kidney disease, and cancer.

So then humans spend billions of dollars torturing and killing millions more animals to look for cures for these diseases.

Elsewhere, millions of other human beings are being killed by hunger and malnutrition because food they could eat is being used to fatten domestic animals.

Meanwhile, few people recognize the absurdity of humans, who kill so easily and violently, and once a year send out cards praying for "Peace on Earth."

~Revised Preface to Old MacDonald's Factory Farm by C. David Coates~

_____________


Anyone can break this cycle of violence! Everyone has the power to choose compassion! Please visit these websites to align your core values with life affirming choices: veganvideo.org & tryveg.com



"Any great change must expect opposition because it shakes the very foundation of privilege."
Lucretia Coffin Mott, 1793-1880, minister, women's rights leader, abolitionist, peace activist, humanitarian

Michelle Wilkes said...

I always liked that song, but never knew the circumstances in the authors life when he wrote it.
Thanks for sharing.
Wish I had a green thumb like you, those paper whites are pretty!

ColleenDown said...

Did Isaac post the anonymous comment?? Just when I moved on offending the Chinese I now have a PETA activist as a follower--I better get one of those "Whirled Peas" bumperstickers as a gentle reminder!

Heather said...

I never noticed the words on your painting. I'll have to look closer next time I'm there. I watched A Muppet Christmas Carol with Isaac this week. Even that has such a great spirit about it.

I don't think it was Isaac who posted the PETA message, Drew is my "How do you think that hamburger feels" kid.