Sunday, May 2, 2010

Male and Female

This is a post in response to a post, in response to another post, about this original post! I love the blogger world-especially if it really makes me think about something. I love the first post, not so much the next one and I guess we had gotten totally off-topic by the last one-even though it was beautifully written as attested to by the hundreds of comments she received. So here are my thoughts, because it is my thoughts that reside here at colleendown.blogspot.com.

The original post at TomatoNation asks the question, “Are you a feminist?” (You can push the pause button here and go and read that post.) In response to Ms. Bunting, I must answer, “Yes, I am a feminist.” 1. I believe in the political, economic and social equality of the sexes and 2. In whatever small way I have been afforded I have organized activity on behalf of women’s rights and interests—mainly in the form of writing, but hopefully in raising children who are also sensitive and respectful to the social equality of the sexes. As a mother of four boys and as a wife to a wonderful man, can I also say I am a masculinist who believes just as strongly in the political, economic and social equality of men and would fight just as passionately to see their rights defended as I would my daughters. (I have been known to take on a few elementary school teachers over the years in the process.) The English vocabulary has not yet invented a word to describe what I truly am in my core, so for lack of a better word let me say I am a “YinYangist.”

Wikipedia (a source I was never allowed to quote in school) says it best. “Yin/Yang is used to describe how polar or seemingly contrary forces are interconnected and interdependent in the natural world, and how they give rise to each other in turn.” Yin/Yang is manifest in hot/cold, east/west, dark/light and in male/female. In looking at a Yin/Yang symbol you will see that each side also contains a smaller portion of the other. Every light, yang, strong, male side also has an aspect of the feminine in gentleness and tranquility. Likewise every dark, feminine, life-giving yin also has strength and courage at its core. I also love this from Wikipedia, “Yin–yang are bound together as parts of a mutual whole. A race with only men or only women would disappear in a single generation; but men and women together create new generations that allow the race they mutually create (and mutually come from) to survive. The interaction of the two gives birth to things. Yin and yang transform each other: like an undertow in the ocean, every advance is complemented by a retreat, and every rise transforms into a fall.”

To a yinyangist as myself, there are no “archals.” In marriage, church and life there should be no hierarchies; patriarchal, matriarchal or anarchical. Balance is a foundational principle of design. It only makes sense that the “Great Designer” would use this principal in the creation of this world, “male and female created he them.” This point was brought home to me recently, as so many points are driven home, through a work of art. We went to see the performance Mystique by Reperatory Dance Theater as they sought to explore mysteries of East/West, Male/Female, Historic/Contemporary, and Yin/Yang. Most of the works were by Michio Ito, a Japanese choreographer who sought to bridge the east/west divide through his dance. He was a highly sought after dancer in the United States until he was deported in the early days of World War II. Michio Ito developed a form of dance that included both male and female movements, lines and curves, inward and outward movements. It was incredibly beautiful to watch and transcended any discussion of what part of the dance was more important, it was simply wholeness.

So back to the original post-I am a feminist and will speak out where I see continued inequality of the sexes. I have a special place in my heart for those “iron-jawed angels” who fought for my right to vote. I applaud Nicolas Sarkozy and his fight to ban the Islamic veil in France in the name of women’s dignity and I agree with a recent Newsweek article encouraging the Pope to break up history’s oldest and most elite “all male club” that has brought so much heartache to so many children’s lives. I have seen so much progress since I was born in the “I Love Lucy” days, but hopefully my daughters will see more and my granddaughters will only know the beauty of the dance.

8 comments:

ColleenDown said...

Mr. Chen is also a Yinyangist who believes in the equality of the sexes--Mrs. Chen has recently quit her job her sewing jeans and has returned to school as a chemical engineer. Thank you for your comments!

Chelsea said...

lovely, i believe i am somewhere in the middle too, the hierarchy system is something I do not agree with. love chelsea

jessica&john.com said...

If this were on face book I would click "like"
Thanks for giving me something to think about. I will reread it when James isn't tugging on my hair:)

cathyg said...

I have been thinking about this post all night and into this morning and think I finally have found words for my thoughts. I have decided to try and embrace the forum of discussion instead of retreating when I disagree so here it goes. According to the definition of feminism in the original post on TomatoNation, "If you believe in, support, look fondly on, hope for, and/or work towards equality of the sexes, you are a feminist." then I am definitely not a feminist. My disagreement is mostly with the use of the word "equal". The definitions of equal I found were this:
•be identical or equivalent to;
•be equal to in quality or ability;
•having the same quantity, value, or measure as another;
•make equal, uniform, corresponding, or matching
•wordnetweb.princeton.edu/per/webwn

Comparing men to women in the battle for equality , I am great with equal if you use the meanings: be equal to in quality or ability; having the same quantity, value or measure as another…I think equal work should earn equal pay, equal qualifications should equal opportunity regardless of sex, race, religion etc. Everyone should have a voice and equal opportunity to use that voice to vote etc. But I do not accept the definition of "be identical or equivalent to; make equal, uniform, corresponding or matching" in regards to men and women. Men and women aren't identical, equivalent, equal, uniform or matching. If we are, one of us is not necessary.
(continued)

cathyg said...

I am not sure if I am a "YinYangist" or not. I understand that yin and yang can represent male and female, but the rest of the definition of yin and yang "polar or seemingly contrary forces" doesn't fit my view of men and women. However, this part of the explanation, "men and women together create new generations that allow the race they mutually create (and mutually come from) to survive. The interaction of the two gives birth to things", I can totally embrace. Maybe I can only be "Yinist" or a "Yangest" I will have to ponder on that some more! Anyway, I don't see men and women as polar opposites or contrary forces, rather two parts meant to come together to make a whole. I do believe in the patriarchal order and do think that was the way God created the universe. There has to be a head. I can't think of any creature that God created with two heads that didn't happen as an abnormality or a work of fiction. The only two that even come to mind is the two headed snake skeleton you can see at the Bean Museum and a "push me, pull me" that was kind of like a llama on "Dr. Doolittle". Corporations and organizations have to have a head, a final decision maker, a "buck stops here" kind of person. A family can't function with two leaders or it will cause confusion and disharmony. Someone has to be the head and I think God gave that responsibility to Adam and so it lies with the patriarchal line. That said, I do not believe that I need a man to tell me what to do, or that my only access to God is through another man. My line to Heavenly Father is through his Son, Jesus Christ, and no one else is needed to provide me access. But, I for one, don't mind if my role as a woman is not equal (using the definition of uniform, corresponding or matching). I like the term "similar" better…
•marked by correspondence or resemblance;
•alike(p): having the same or similar characteristics;
•exchangeable: capable of replacing or changing places with something else; permitting mutual substitution without loss of function or suitability; wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

I think of men and women as similar more than polar opposites or seemingly contrary forces. Each brings similar characteristics to the table, but each has different roles and responsibilities. There was nothing equal about bringing children into our family. It was definitely weighted on my side to be a greater burden. However, I don't want the responsibility that my husband has to work to provide for that child for the next 20 or 30 years by going to work everyday and being the provider. I was given the responsibility to give birth and he has the responsibility to provide. I like having someone to protect me and watch over me. I like having someone who balances me and fills in where I am weak. I like having someone to depend upon. I like the feeling that I am completed by another, but that another also depends on me to complete him. Is that what everyone wants? Probably not but that is what I can believe in, support, look fondly on, hope for and work towards: that men and women can have an equal opportunity to "fill the measure of their creation".

ColleenDown said...

Thanks for engaging with me Cathy, believe me I know that your stomach must have pumped some acid over this one. I don't think in three years of school I ever got over the butterflies when I had to take the opposing point of view. I love the dialogue though and I love hearing what others think. I will miss that, so I appreciate everyone humoring me here in our little forum. You had some great points and I appreciate you sharing them. I agree that the "equality" word is problematic and probably not the best word to be used here except as it applies to the original definition in the political, economic and social realm. I think that is why I like the yin/yang in the context of the male/female they are different yet interdependent. CJane also argued this point well as to our differences and I like how she elaborated on the Feminine in the final post--there was also some great comments on her board if you have the time to wade through it all. I have been reading way too much Islamic literature lately to embrace patriarchy much anymore. It sound good on paper but I think in the end it always eventually evolves first into a bad 50's sitcom then into fundamentalism. Countries, like Dubai who are moving away from it are slowly moving in the right direction. I have become somewhat of a "couch potato" lately and have two television shows that I love "Parenthood" and "Modern Family." Just like the shows we grew up, The Partridge Family, The Brady Bunch-Eight is Enough, I think that they are a snapshots of the era we are living in. I like seeing how they address problems, they certainly aren't doing it like June Cleaver and that is o.k.-it is a new world and in my opinion a much better one. Families and churches are not corporations they are living, organic, evolving entities and therefore should not be run like corporations. Sometimes two parents have to work things out together. Occasionally, it is just Dad and more often than not women are the heads of families and they make it work. Nana being the best case in point I can think of. Anyway, I would love to keep the conversation going. Feel free any of the rest of you lurkers to chime in-all opinions are welcome-What can I say-I was born in the last year of the Baby Boom so I am officially the "Bra-burner" of the family-someone has to do it! Everyone else was born in the next generation-after the battle had been fought.

Heather said...

After being in those dance classes on Saturday with a whole lotta shaking goin' I am going to stand in full favor of wearing bras rather than burning bras.

In all of these blogs and arguments I find stuff that I agree with and other stuff that I don't. For the most part it seems to come down to an issue of semantics. I wish I had more time to explore the semantics of it because I do think it is important in the social discourse.

For now I will just give my thoughts regarding the "patriarchal order" of the LDS church. My mom used to explain to me that it was fair that men had the priesthood because women has motherhood. As long as I can remember I had a chip on my shoulder about this (because don't men get fatherhood too), and it has only been within the last month or so that I feel like I understand it enough to say it finally makes sense to me in my heart. Unfortunately feelings of the heart are difficult to convert to blog comments, and after trying for an hour now my time for philosophizing is far spent (and I have to put my groceries away).

Dave and I had a conversation last night as I was trying to clean up my monthly mess that is mine to cherish as a woman (TMI, I know). He was telling me how glad he was that he wasn't a woman, and how it must really suck to be me. I tried to explain to him what a blessing that cycle is despite the crap that comes with it because I get to be a mother, but he didn't believe because he knows all the crap that comes along with that too. I don't expect him to understand because you have to experience it to know the deep spiritual significance of it all. I at last joked that at least I'd never have to go to PEC and I had him there.

I'll leave it at this: I love being a woman because of motherhood and so much more. I love the men in my life and would never want to deny them the blessings that are theirs as they administer and administrate in the patriarchal order, because without that what do they have that even compares to what we as women have.

ColleenDown said...

Thanks for you comment Heather, I am glad we can at least discuss here. I hope that no one got the idea that I do not also love being a woman and a mother, like you point out, it is all worth it. I wonder if guys ever think about how wonderful it is to be a guy--they certainly don't blog about it do they! My one last thought, just in case anyone has bothered to read this far. It still seems different when Pastor Mike asks for the elders to come forward and several of them are women, but I do like to see Elder Pamela Atkinson standing at the pulpit on Sunday leading the congregation in prayer or passing the sacrament/communion. I don't really aspire to such things but I am so glad that if that is where her heart has led her, she can do it and I think her "femaleness" lends something wonderful to the congregation--Carolyn Tanner Irish has been the bishop of the episcopal church in SLC for the past decade, she was one of Sister Hinckley' s young women by the way, I am glad that she has had that opportunity if that is where she feels called to serve in her life, it goes along with the Newsweek piece--anyway, just thinkin'!