Thursday, April 15, 2010

Kudos to KMart

There is a scene in the movie “Rainman” where Dustin Hoffman tells his brother, played by Tom Cruise, that he needs to go to K-Mart. Tom Cruise, replies they cannot go to K-Mart, because K-Mart Sucks! Tom should have listened to his brother-he was, after all, a savant. So in the spirit of loving Google, springtime and sushi, today, I just wanted to say, “I love K-Mart!” K-Mart is like the forgotten “middle child” of the big box stores. It’s not WalMart, it’s not Target, but it’s MY store and it is Andy’s store. K-mart is our hang in’ place. Basic Editions is the label on all our clothes.** And Martha Stewart helps me with all my decorating.

Today, in celebration of the first really warm day of spring, we headed to the Garden Center for pansies. Just walking in and smelling the fertilizer and potting soil feeds my soul. I felt like Goldilocks, as I tried out the new lawn chairs. (Can anyone have too many lawn chairs) Andy, of course, heads straight for the video aisle. We cruised the aisles looking at baskets, so he could organize his room. He stared for a long time at a rack of Harlequin romances and ask me if they were “bad” books. We moseyed through the camping gear and both counted our blessings that we have a cabin. Back in “Toys” he spent a long time choosing a WWF wrestling man—the only toy that has ever interested him- while I looked at sheets. He picked out a 50’s Rock and Roll CD for 4.99 and a Propel drink. I bought long underwear-hey it was only a buck and it will make me very happy next November. We glanced at the swimsuits, socks and bought a ball for the dogs. We never hurry through K-Mart. (You never hurry anywhere with Andy). He was happy; I was content; our cart runneth over.

As we were leaving, I could see an older man in the next aisle. He was riding a motorized three wheeled scooter-like they advertise in the infomercials. As he talked to the cashier, she reached over and took both of his hands in hers and looked him in the eye as she visited with him. I had no idea what she was saying, but I could tell that in that moment she was giving that gentleman more than his change back. I guess that is why there are no express lanes when you shop at K-Mart.

Returning home, we unloaded our loot. We threw the dog a ball, listened to some classic rock and roll, and planted pansies. Life-in the slow lane-is good!

**Andy has a “little” quirk; he is a clothes ripper. Many a pair of jeans, many, many, many a pair of jeans, has fallen victim to this nervous habit. As I stock up on a new pile of clothes every few months, I always say a little prayer and thank God that with the problem he gave me an affordable solution. Thanks to K-Mart, I can drop them in the garbage, smile, and not ever give it a second thought.

5 comments:

lulu said...

The best thing about the K-mart in Orem is their like 20 year old photo booth. I have pictures that my mom & took in there when I was 6 years old and now my friends & I still go there and we have like 30 strips of photos at least. K-mart is a good place to make memories thats for sure :)

jessica&john.com said...

Ahhh, I kind of want to go to K-mart now. I too have lots of k-mart memories...The photobooth, going with Kimme to buy makeup, the aroma of Little Cesar's Pizza..good times.
Cheers to the little things in life:)!

Heather said...

When we drove by the Kmart in Provo yesterday and saw the garden center O thought of you, and that was before I read this post.

Cheryl said...

I miss the AF Kmart! Thanks for a trip down memory lane. And thanks to you and Andy for reminding us to take time to stop and wrestle the roses.

Michelle Wilkes said...

What would I do without the Martha Stewart line?