Monday, March 1, 2010

Proprioception

I always like it when I find a new, big word to use! This is one that I have encountered several different times in my reading this week. In a nutshell, it has to do with inner balance. It is the first thing to go when you get old. It is why people fall down, break their hips and die. Ahh, but I digress. I am not old, yet. In fact, thanks to my Prime Movers dance class, I am just getting younger each week. So there we were dancing around, while Aaron (my main dance man) was telling us how beautiful we look and I picture myself looking like this:



While I am sure he is seeing this:


But anyway, he tells us to balance.... then he tells us to unbalance. Then in his calming, reassuring voice he reminds us that dance is about balancing and unbalancing. I feel a little peace sweep over me, because right now my life is totally out of balance. But, that is o.k.--it is all about the joy of the dance and eventually I will find my balance again. (Just not in March!)

6 comments:

Heather said...

I love this thought! It really makes me think there is some logic in the way I can't quite keep things pulled together for very long spurts. I just need some of imbalance to keep life enjoyable.

I'm so glad you are enjoying that dance class.

Michelle Wilkes said...

Ahh, imbalance, I'm really good at that. Your post makes me feel better, now when I have things together, and it occurs to me that it is probably only a temporary state, I'll tell myself that that's O.K.

jessica&john.com said...

We have had a little DIY project going on and our house has been a wreck. Tools everywhere! We finally finished yesterday and I was able to vacuum up the saw dust and enjoy our finished project. Ahh, it felt so good to have the casa propricepitated again. It is nice to have a little unbalance in life to make you appreciate normalcy. I bet this will be your best summer ever, after a hard few years of school. You deserve it after a job well done!

jessica&john.com said...

That just reminded me of Avatar (new favorite movie!).
When the guy turned into an Avatar for the first time after being in a wheelchair. He got his proprioception back and started running around, jumping, dancing etc.
Anyway... I loved that part.
P.s. The ostrich in toe shoes picture cracked me up.

ColleenDown said...

Thanks for the comments. That was my favorite part of the movie too Jessica, if I recall it made me cry. Heather did you just use the words "pulled together" in the same sentence--oh my!

Mom said...

Fortunately the Lord of the Dance for your life is even better than Aaron at leading you. It's rather awesome to realize you have God as a dance partner.