Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Critical Condition


Buried in the back of my closet is my old Baby Book. Tucked in its pages are a lock of hair, immunization records and my first grade report card. Under the comment section, my first grade teacher penned these words, “Does not take criticism well.” Nearly twenty years of schooling, numerous report cards and working with several magazine editors has not changed that immortal statement. Faced with criticism, I still get a pit in my stomach, I wake up at 4:00 a.m. to stew and I declare to the universe that I will spend the remainder of my days working in my garden-far away from critical eyes. However, buried in my graduate school experience has been an important lesson. Criticism can also be the greatest gift one can receive. It has caused me to stretch. It has opened my mind to sail in previously uncharted waters and it has taught me to plant my feet firmly and take a stand.

I recently received a paper with an extremely low score. Next to each paragraph the teacher had written, “Beautiful writing, you did not answer the question.” The stomach acid began to pump and my defenses went into motion. I wanted to write back, “Well you did not ask a very good question did you!” Moving quickly through the course, I soon had another opportunity to answer a new set of questions. This second time, I took no chances. I read the questions. I understood the questions. I searched for answers. I formulated answers. I sought with all diligence to present my answers in a clear and concise manner. I stretched myself…and I learned something new.

While studying Shakespeare, I went into unknown waters. How one gets to graduate school with no experience with the Bard says something about my public education and narrow college experience. But it happened. I learned to “start at the very beginning” and thanked God for Cliff Notes and BBC broadcasts. In sophomoric fashion, I muddled through several of Shakespeare’s great plays. I addressed what I thought were profound thoughts on patriotism while studying Henry V, only to receive a stinging rebuke from the professor. He said, “I had not addressed the negative side of patriotism and the religious zeal to which it can be taken in the extreme. Really?? I said myself-I had no idea what he was talking about. I had no idea until the next semester when I took the class “The Age of Revolutions.” Over and over, in revolutionary figures, I encountered Henry V and his speech to the troops before the Battle of Argincourt. Over and over I wanted the opportunity to “rewrite” my Henry V paper.

In an exchange of emails with a fellow student in my Middle Eastern History class, it was once again confirmed, “doesn’t handle criticism well.” I would have “defriended” him had we been using FaceBook instead of ISpartan. Late into the night, I was unsettled by his pressing questions as we discussed Islamic fundamentalism, Palestinian/Israeli relationships and the King James Version of the Bible. Who was this stranger in cyberspace that dared to question what I knew as “the truth?” (And why did I search him out three years later to thank him?) Speaking of “”defriending,” what about my fellow students in Global Economics? They hurt my feelings with their Keynesian philosophies. Criticism of Hayek was criticism of me. It still is, but at least now I know how the other side views the world and I know how to defend myself.

Finally, the process of writing my final reflective essay has almost cured me of my “critical condition.” First I sent my final draft to a professor friend, his reply, “Beautiful,” fed my ego but was not very helpful. It took an advisor, who truly cared, to say, “lacks intellectual empathy.” Ouch! After many middle of the night ponderings, a lot of emails, and several rewrites to finish the process, I found myself saying what I really wanted to say. She forced me to clarify thoughts that I needed to express. She caused me to dig deep inside and ask myself, do I value courage above empathy, criticism over kindness, progress over tradition, freedom over security and writing over gardening? Thank you Deborah, I will always be grateful for your critiques and your encouragement!

I will soon receive a transcript from UNCG. I think I will write a comment on the bottom. “Still doesn’t take criticism well—but oh, how I appreciate it!”

9 comments:

Cheryl said...

This was a thoughtful post! I'm glad my job was always just to proofread, not to have to give feedback on content!

I can relate to the idea of challenging your thoughts and finding ways to determine what you really think and finding ways to express it. I've had many a conversation with friends, coworkers, etc. who have challenged me. I like the confidence I feel when I find my groove.

I think this is why I choose to read mostly nonfiction books. There is so much to learn and so much to make you think. I guess that can make it confusing sometimes too, but I'm equally grateful for the advice you once gave me that we have two compasses we can align to figure it all out. My mind and my heart both help me to sort through it all.

Congratulations on being near the end of this phase of Graduate school criticism!

Cheryl said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ColleenDown said...

Cheryl posted twice--don't want anyone to think that I censor my blog!

cathyg said...

I wish I could respond with something profound, but what I have to admit is that I didn't even know most of what you were referring to! I did know Shakespeare, but that was about it! Hmmm, this causes me to ponder on how much I don't know! Actually, that occurs daily! However, even though I don't understand all the references, I do understand what you learned from it and I am proud of you for having the courage to keep going! Congratulations on a great accomplishment!

jessica&john.com said...

I give this post an A++++++++++:)
After three years of
teachers raving about your work, you finally get one small piece of criticism. How would it be:)
It sounds like you were able to fix your mistake so you're still a perfect student.
Loved the post.

Heather said...

You always write things that make me think. I don't know if that is really so productive at this time of night. It kind of ties in with things I have been thinking lately. It seems too me that the world in general has more than enough critics and far too few practicing empathy and charity. You make an excellent case for accepting criticism with humility and an open mind. So, now I'm thinking about being critical myself, because I can't think of a single time that me being critical has been a good thing. It never seems to strengthen my relationships, and it isn't effective for me in parenting. I think what you write about accepting criticism is so true. (If so much easier said than done!) But how should we approach the other end of that? What do you think?

Heather said...

Another question...what is meant by academic empathy?

ColleenDown said...

Thanks for the comments. They always make me think some more. Maybe there is a place for criticism when someone really cares, especially if it is wrapped in a lot of positive. My advisor has been so kind at the same time she has pushed me to clarify and look at both sides of an argument. I think if I didn't feel she like she was truly interested in me, this back and forth exchange would not have been so positive. I have felt a genuine interest on her part. On the other hand, I just want Aaron to continue to say "lovely, lovely' as I dance across the floor-not "you look like a cow" . So criticism in all areas of my life is not productive or welcome. Maybe, too, it must come in small doses, I have received enough positive feedback in my courses to give me the confidence to push back at some suggestions and to give in on others. Also, being a SAHM my entire career has not put me in the feedback loop very often. This has been one of my first experiences where I have been criticized-harshly at times, and I see that it has improved me. I remember in one class someone calling me out and saying, "Defend yourself-if you are going to argue this point then make our time count" I have learned to express myself better. Intellectual empathy is looking at both sides and seeking to understand "the other." What I learned though is you can be empathetic to all sides but then sometimes you have to take a stand or you just appear wishy=washy. Keep the conversation going, I love to converse-even in cyberspace.

ColleenDown said...

O.K. one last story that Pastor Mike told at church a few weeks ago. A teenage kids gave his Mom a paper he had written. Being the college educated Mom she was she took the opportunity to "correct" it and make several changes. Proud of herself, she handed it back. He had a very hurt look on his face and said, "Mom, I didn't ask you to grade it, I only ask you to like it." That story pricked my heart. Maybe in our very critical world, kids need one place where they are simply liked and not criticized.
Perhaps, criticism is best received from someone we are paying the big bucks to make us better, not from our Moms.