Friday, March 11, 2011

Care of the Soul




I'm an Arizona, Arizona, Arizona star,
And I come from the West where the cowboys are;
I can ride 'em, I can rope 'em I can show 'em how it's done,
I'm a rootin' tootin' cowboy with my six-shooter gun!


Flying into the "Valley of the Sun" is always a going home. A wave of nostalgia sweeps over me when I look out the airplane window and see Camelback Mountain, the mountain that I could see from my bedroom window growing up. Stepping off the plane, I always think of walking through the tunnel and into my Dad's arms as he waited for us each summer. It has taken being a mother myself, to realize how he must have felt after not seeing us for the nine months of the school year. A little pang of homesickness hits me as I look forward to walking through another tunnel someday and seeing him waiting.


Each Spring after a long, long winter my body and soul craves a day in the sun like it craves food. Fortunately, by this time of year Steve usually has a few SouthWest tickets saved up and in one hour all my needs are satisfied--water, sun, dry, green, heat----and a lounge chair


And spending time with Steve and Katelyn and Jake was the icing on the cake (thank goodness, they all love to read as much as I do!)




6 comments:

John said...

I love a good vicarious vacation. And your pictures almost made me feel like I was there under a palm tree reading a book. Great documenting! It looks like it was just what the doctor ordered. You guys deserved some good R and R.

John said...

That was me, Jess:)

Laura Sellars said...

Ahhhh, that looks so nice and warm...kind of a little teaser of what we will have in about 4 months! Glad you could lounge and enjoy family. Back to my laundry :)

cathyg said...

I feel exactly the same way! My song would be "A-R-I-Z-O-N-A is my state! Arizona let me say, I think you're great!" Love the pictures, because in this case, "that IS the way I pictured it!"

Heather said...

Ahh, sunshine. Vitamin D nourishes in so many ways!

lulu said...

Looks like a lot of fun! I'm hoping to go somewhere southern (at least st. george) for my spring break coming up this week. I need some serious warmth... even though today was quite a lovely day on the slopes so maybe i'm not totally sick of our snowy mountains just yet :)