Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Freedom Fighters-Putting a Smile on My Face



Wed. November 24, is Opt Out Day for all of those flying around the country. People are being asked to Opt-Out of airport scanners and put themselves through the humiliation of groping pat downs to clog TSA lines and bring attention to the extreme violation of fourth amendment rights against search and seizure. Certain groups have become very creative in their protest, one group will be going without underwear and flying in their kilts. The airways are a buzz with anti-TSA discussions and the internet has connected people on this issue in ways that have not been seen before. Going to WeWontFly.com andFacebook each morning, puts a great big smile on my face. Finally, people are waking up. Finally, people are saying enough is enough, Finally, people are looking to the founding documents of our country and remembering what people who gave everything for our freedom understood.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."-- Benjamin Franklin

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom — go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains rest lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!-- Samuel Adams

A 'No' uttered from deepest 
conviction is better and greater than a 'Yes' merely uttered to please, 
or what is worse, to avoid trouble."- (Mahatma) Ghandi

The reason I am smiling so much as I read this (besides the fact that Steve travels a zillion miles a year and I don’t like him passing through radiation and groping—and I certainly don’t want to have to do it!) is because, it is the “rising generation” who is making all the noise! My generation is a bunch of pansies! I love seeing the youth making websites, exercising civil disobedience, passing out fliers, calling their congressman. Tomorrow’s leaders are taking the reins of freedom today, because my generation woosed out. So this Thanksgiving, I raise a toast to the new “sons and daughters of liberty!” Thanks for taking your clothes off so I won’t have to!

2 comments:

Heather said...

I have been thinking about this issue all week. I am not really sure where I stand. I'm still sorting.

ColleenDown said...

Darn--where did my video go? It was pretty funny!