Wednesday, April 22, 2009

17 Again

I haven’t seen the movie but I feel like I am living the life. At every turn lately, I feel those butterflies of uncertainty that cause so much angst in a young girl’s life. I thought I had moved on. I thought I had overcome the anguish of letting others define my self worth with superficial measurements. I thought I was immune to peer pressure and cliquish behavior. I thought I was strong and secure in my womanhood. That was until two weeks ago. That was until I realized that the teenager in me is still alive and well. That was until I joined FaceBook.

I always thought that FaceBook was for a younger generation, the MySpace/ I-Pod generation, the generation that hangs at StarBucks. Then I started to realize that everyone I knew was on FaceBook—even my mother-in-law. On a whim, while watching American Idol, I decided to register. Within minutes I was surrounded by friends. It was truly the most amazing thing I have seen. I was in contact with friends from high school, from college, from down the street. I had a window into my children’s lives, into the lives of neighbors that I only had said “Hello” to in the grocery story, into relatives that I hadn’t seen in years. Wasn’t this the greatest innovation since the cell phone? Could any form of communication be so wonderful? Then the butterflies began. What if I requested someone to be my friend and they refused? What if I requested someone to be my friend and they didn’t respond? What if I said something stupid on the comment section? What if I responded to my niece’s comments and they thought I was eavesdropping? Before I knew it I was right back in the lunchroom of Boyd County High. I found myself checking my FaceBook an inordinate number of times looking for rolling eyeballs and rejection notices. From there I would go to my hotmail, my blog, my checking account—looking for validation that I was still o.k., still part of the “in” group.

Blogging isn’t much better than FaceBook when it comes to a healthy sense of self-worth. I noticed recently that the BIG mommy bloggers do not allow comments on their blogs. Is it because they are so secure that they don’t need people raving about how creatively they write (like Adam Lambert thinking he is so cool he doesn’t care what the judges say)? Or, is it because deep down they have the same insecurities as the rest of us and are afraid to know what others think? And what about the private bloggers—is that the same as saying, “I am sorry you can’t sit at “our” lunch table?” Oh my, this Internet world we live in is so complicated. I guess that is why it is the tool of the new, younger generation who live in a much more “who cares what anyone thinks” world.
Maybe, there is something Freudian about getting a dog and FaceBook all in the same week. I know when I walk outside he will wag his tail, jump up and down and remind me that I am o.k. even though he was never formally invited to be man’s best friend.


Note to readers: With that said, I love, love, love FaceBook, Blogspot and Hotmail, and UNCG’s online classes! If you haven’t already done so please invite me to be your friend, there is always plenty of room at our lunch table. (Besides I want to catch up with Nick Redd and his 358 friends—who has 358 friends?)

11 comments:

jessica&john.com said...

I love this post. I am so a fan of facebook, blogging, e-mail, and all the other ways to cyber socialize (that kind of sounds bad) Anyway, technology is such a fabulous way to keep connected (ie, spy on old flings, keep in touch with friendlies, and chat it up with the fam)
It is even worth the stress of being rejected on fb, having to put a # on the people who love you, and accidentally sending steamy love notes to work associates:)

Heather said...

Msybe I'm too scarred from Jr. High and that's why I can't get into facebook. I feel so much pressure to be wearing Lucky Jeans in my profile picture.

cathyg said...

I love your view! I can relate to it! I am still considering the facebook thing...I think it sounds fun, but I already find myself spending way too much time on the computer! I will have to think some more...Who has 358 friends??Ashton Kutcher has 1,000,000 (one million however you write that!) contacts on Twitter, but then he IS Ashton Kutcher!

cathyg said...

Just another note...making a comment on someone's blog and then having "comment will post after blog-owner's approval" is my version of being turned away from the lunch table! I really don't like it and it stirs up major insecurities! On my blog, all comments are welcomed and celebrated!

ColleenDown said...

You are kidding me Cathy! I haven't gotten that one yet. I think that would be the last time I visited that table.

BubbaRooster said...

Colleen, when you read this (hopefully) you will email me your email address so I can invite you to my blog. I didn't even realize how to get to your blog until Viv just now showed me how to find you on Heather's blog. (I'm REALLY old school).
my email: bruceasullivan01@gmail.com

Cheryl said...

I am definitely converted to the blog thing. I learn all kinds of thoughts you have that I'd never know about otherwise. But I'll admit that I'm pretty far behind the times. As you'll recall, I did request an intervention on my blog to get some technological help.

Thanks for sharing your lunch table (literally and figuratively) with me.

Brooke said...

i have issues with blogs & facebook. most days i can't figure out why i'm still here.

i love your blog! xo

Brooke said...

Hi Colleen!! It's Brooke Linton:) I am laughing at this post because here I just found you in this crazy cyber world by linking on a comment Heather left on Alisa's blog! What a tangled web we weave!

I still haven't relented to the facebook pressure - love Heather's comment here about the Lucky Jeans:)

I just gave another copy of your book away today - to Savannah's preschool teacher. Thanks for giving me something I love to share with others. You are awesome and I miss seeing you!

BubbaRooster said...

I just had to drop in again and say
"thanks" for reading my blog and then posting your comments. I'm a little intimidated after reading yours, but hey, as far as I know you can't play the guitar, so we're even.
Bubba

Tiff and Griff said...

Hey it's your old neighbor Tiffany from Draper. I am a blog stalker and love your blog. You say things no one else will say but everyone else is thinking! I am not your friend on facebook but you will surely get a friend request from me soon. Keep writing!