Sunday, September 5, 2010

“Kicking the Bucket”--List

Ever since Morgan Freeman and Jack Nicholson made the saying “the bucket list” a household word, we have all been forced to ask ourselves what is on our “list.” Each day, as I look up at the mountains behind my house, and watch the hang gliders and parasailers jump into thin air, I shake my head and remind myself, there are certain actvities that will never be on the list. (Thanks to my sister and daughter, I can live that one vicariously through them.) There are however other things on my list, because face it, whether or not we have written them down on paper, we all have secret ambitions floating around inside our heads. In a somewhat similar vein, my sisters and I have a “Birthday Swim” each summer where we share our “Birthday Wishes” for the year. Somehow speaking them out loud makes them more real. I had my own personal form of “The List” of everything I wanted to accomplish before I turned 50. My fiftieth birthday, in one sense, was like crossing the finish line of a marathon. Surprisingly, I accomplished the majority— I got my Master’s degree, went to Europe, wrote a book, raised a large family, bought a cabin in the woods. I still need to learn to throw a pot on a potter’s wheel and hike the Appalachian Trail. I have a lot of confidence in lists because they help us to get things done and like my sweet niece recently blogged—everyone loves to cross things off the list. With that said, I am now officially “throwing in the towel,” “kicking the bucket” and “banning my list!”

Since the Big 5-0 party, I have been in a funk, as I pondered what to carry over and what new to add to the “Things To Do Before 60” list. I have slept on it, showered until the hot water ran out over it, and taken a hiatus from writing anything until I figured it out. Then I went to my folder, the folder labeled GOALS, and started looking at the now yellowing pieces of notebook paper, index cards, journals and Daytimer sheets, I had tucked away over the years. I have kept every single one from the day I started college until last year. I have always taken goal setting seriously-“a goal not written is only a wish.” Divided into neat categories, my goal setting has helped me to progress in a “well rounded” manner. There are spiritual goals (pray everyday—as if having seven kids doesn’t force you to your knees anyway) physical goals (remain at 110 lbs., 120 lbs, 130 lbs. and I mean it this time. Keep wardrobe updated and stylish—I must have some Freudian fear of elastic-waisted black polyester pants) educational and homemaking goals (learn to cook with wheat—like General Mills hadn’t already perfected the process) and financial goals-organize my desk-written on every slip of paper since March of 1980. It was the last one that sent me over the edge.

As I looked at all those papers spread out on my bedroom floor, they all seemed to be screaming, “Don’t Think Red-Don’t Think Red!” Have I been subconsciously sabotaging my progress? Has all the goal setting, over things that don’t really matter, kept me back from paths that I may have taken? Was I too focused on the things I thought I “should” be doing instead of those things I “could” be doing? Then I ask myself, “What if I tried living the next year with absolutely no goals, no life plan, no list?” What if I said, “to hell with ever getting my office organized or figuring out what to do with the 300 pounds of stored wheat?” What if each day I wake up to a blank page and see where life takes me?

Amid all my goals, I found a sheet of paper that simply said, “I Dream”—it was the only paper that made me smile and say, “What do you know-this all came true.” So this is the year of living spontaneously and letting the petty goals go. (For heaven's sake, someone can take a box of big garbage bags into my office when I am gone and then cross it off my list.) As I put the GOALS folder back in the drawer, I noticed that towards the back was a stack of blank papers. I reached to take them out and return them to the copier, then I stopped myself. Those sheets of blank paper represent the years ahead. I look forward to filling them with all sorts of wonderful experiences, but this time I won’t be in the driver’s seat of life. Instead, I will be along for the ride, looking out the window, waiting to see where the adventure might take me.

4 comments:

lulu said...

ohh how honored I am to be included in this post ;)
Blank pages... what a brilliant conclusion. I was thinking about it and it's amazing how hard it is to just let go and be in the backseat of your life... especially when i'm so stuck on listing my goals and what I need to accomplish. But I love the approach and i'm sure those next ten years will be as rewarding as ever.

Heather said...

Like I told you this weekend, I am a fan of the non-goal life. That year after the twins were born and I looked at my life and saw that I was no where near where I had intended to be, but was happy beyond my imagination, I decided that planning was for the birds.

After reading your post I went back and looked at my resolutions for the year: go backpacking, well I didn't do that, but I spent two weeks in heaven at dance camp, and ten days in Europe. I'm glad I didn't limit my summer around trying to achieve my "go backpacking" goal.

I think lately the goals that I really care about are not so much what I want to do, but what I want to become, but goals like "be more charitable" are hard to break up into smaller Covey-esque goals. I can set goals to make a quilt for the homeless every week, or take in 50 meals this year, but setting measurable goals like that won't necessarily help me change my heart.

So anyway, enjoy your blank year, I hope it takes you somewhere wonderful.

jessica&john.com said...

When John and I got married, I was already to sit down as a couple and make our life goals together. When He said it wasn't his cup of tea I was so mad and seriously questioned if I could be married to a non-goal writer downer:) But, I guess I have followed in his lead because I've stopped typing out my excessive list of goals that I have faithfully kept since I was probably seven. And somehow I have survived the last few years, and even accomplished a few dreams. One thing I love about John is that he makes me take time to relax like watching a movie or just sitting on the porch swing. Otherwise I always want to be out and about or multi-tasking.
I think maybe some goals can cause me a lot of needless stress. I think that one thing I've learned this year is that there is so much joy, pleasure, and life to live when we cut a lot of the crap.
I love your insight, mom!
Gosh, there are so many gals out there who could benefit from your wisdom! We need to get the word out about this blog of yours!
P.S. Thanks for the spontaneous b-day gift!!!! It will help me keep a record of the beautiful memories I plan to fill my blank pages with!

cap said...

Colleen you are so insightful all the time, I'm so glad that I know you and get to be apart of this blog! Jeremy and I talked about you guys last night actually, everything that has happened is because of you and of course many of our own choices but it all happened because I'm lucky enough to know you. I am such a goal setter too, so I'm really going to try to do this. One of my biggest goal though is do what makes me happy. All of my choices lately is because they make me happy. I think a successful life is a happy life. And in response to your comment on my blog, I promise it is just a short break :) I want to go back so don't worry.