Monday, February 8, 2010

To Dance, To Dream


As I have stated many times in the past, my heart is the heart of a dancer, unfortunately my life did not get the memo. However, with a little persistence, Heather finally talked me into attending a dance class for the 50+ ladies called “Prime Movers.” She, then, was kind enough to “midwife” me through the experience just in case I forgot to breathe. It was so fun. I will go back next Saturday, and the next. And, just like my Apple homeboy mentioned in a previous post, I have my Repertory Dance Theater homeboy to remind me of muscles I haven’t used since 1972. Did I mention, it was so fun! Oh to Dance, to Dream.

As I type this, Zac just walked in the room to tell me about the new skis he will finally have the money to buy this week. He then said, “I dream of skiing every single night, I hate waking up because I am always right in the middle of a big jump.” I have never seen Zac so happy. Oh, To Ski, To Dream.

At what point did I decide that I could not dance-even just for the fun of it? At what point did I decide that I wasn’t a good enough artist to pick up a pencil and eraser, just for the fun of it? At what point did I start putting all my dreams on the back burner to do the laundry, run the carpools and pay the bills? I think maybe it happened in college where the competition was so stiff. I think part of it happened in the eighties when I read a book called “Excellence.” Maybe it happened during the years when I simply fell in bed so exhausted at night that I forgot to dream. I am waking up now though. And, to hell with “excellence.” Life is too short!

I am finally learning, way too late, that life is to be lived, not endured. Fun is not bad and perfection has much more to do with how we love than how straight a zipper we can sew. (I think my college Clothing and Textiles teachers may have also scarred me for life!) Today is the day to “taste the strawberries and drink the sweet wine.” Today is the day to dream and dance and draw and soar and write and paint and jump and fly… and love. So ladies, ( and gentlemen if any of you read this blog) what are your dreams?


10 comments:

Cheryl said...

I agree! I've had so many awesome experiences in life simply because I wanted to try something. I never felt like I had to be the absolute best at it, just to enjoy the experience. I've also always felt like setting goals was to help us reach further, not to reach perfection in every endeavor. My unfulfilled dream would be to be a star singer on Broadway. Ok, so that's just not gonna happen, but I can appreciate music of all kinds and enjoy that. I also dream of travel, meeting people, and trying new adventures that I haven't even heard of yet. Here's to all our dreams and the dreamers who have them!

ColleenDown said...

So, there is always Rock Band at Noah's! After last weeks Grammy's I even thought that perhaps in my next life, I might come back as Lady Gaga! (Wouldn't that surprise the kids!)

jessica&john.com said...

hmmm, I am dreaming... as I walk with my fussy baby who wont allow me to DO anything except walk around the house, singing Barney songs, or do pony boy over and over again. Thanks for giving me something to think about, I will be back soon.

cathyg said...

That is a reminder I need! I know why I stopped gymnastics...when it hurt too much...skiing has been a good thing for me to do, but I need to find more of those dreams...things I want to do just because I want to do them! Thanks for reminding me to go find those!

cathyg said...

PS. Is that you on the ski slopes??

Cheryl said...

So, I used this question for dinner conversation. Daniel dreams of having a job that makes a decent income and that he loves. Dale dreams of being involved in art, especially to benefit others, not just art for art's sake. Cheyenne said, "I dream of having a horse of my very own. I will it into the sky!" I added to my list that I dream of someday making a real difference to at least one homeless person. I don't know if I'll just volunteer at a shelter or if I'll take in an older foster child, but something along those lines. Did anyone else discuss this at dinner??

ColleenDown said...

My children probably dream of having dinner!! Isn't that what the federally funded school lunch program is all about. I did ask Katelyn this morning over a granola bar what her dreams were and she said she wanted to be a photographer. (Note to self: Sign up for Photoline's Photography 101 class). I am with Cheyenne on the flying horse thing. (Do flying horse's poop as much as the ones in our front yard?) Watched the movie "Amelia" last night--now there is a lady who followed her dreams!

ColleenDown said...

P.S. to Cathy--obviously you haven't skied with me lately--It is Zac-living the dream.

ColleenDown said...

I haven't ever thought of sumo wrestling but thanks for sharing and that comment about the sushi bar--well who doesn't dream of sushi!

jessica&john.com said...

LOL!!!!
P.S.... Still dreaming:)